MAJ. David Schermerhorn
All Veterans Funeral & Cremation Veteran Liaison
VA BURIAL BENEFITS FOR VETERANS & THEIR FAMILIES
CASH BENEFIT REIMBURSEMENT
$300 IS AVAILABLE IF…
- Veteran was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable and certain conditions are met*
$749 IS AVAILABLE IF…
- The Veteran’s death occurs in a VA facility or VA-contracted facility.
- The Veteran is buried in a private cemetery.
$2,000 IS AVAILABLE IF…
- Death occurred while on active duty
- Veteran died of a service-connected injury.
NOTE: If any of the above is due the Veteran’s family, All Veterans Funeral & Cremation will submit all claims to VA for family reimbursement.
*VA Burial Benefits Allowances are determined by VA. See http://benefits.va.gov for more information.
OTHER VA BURIAL & CREMATION BENEFITS
BURIAL IN NATIONAL CEMETERY
FREE grave space for casket or ashes. -OR- FREE urn wall space for ashes, or FREE memorial headstone if ashes were scattered. Veteran, spouse, and dependent children are eligible.
- Conditions to be met:
- Honorably discharged veteran, serving any length of active duty before 9/7/1980.
- Veterans entering service after this time must complete 24 months of continuous active duty, or for the full time for which the person was called to active duty, during conflict.
ALL ASSOCIATED CEMETERY SERVICES AND MERCHANDISE ARE ALSO FREE. (All Veterans Funeral & Cremation will order gravespace, burial vault, service pavilion, and open-and-closing of gravespace.)
HEADSTONE OR MARKER
- Free at any national cemetery
- Or, if burial at a private cemetery:
- Government will provide a headstone, if one not already there and cemetery agrees to accept.
- If private headstone already in place All Veterans Funeral & Cremation will order a military medallion to be placed on the headstone.
FREE MEMORIAL HEADSTONE
Memorial “In Memory Of” Headstone may be placed in any national cemetery:
- Cremation, if ashes were scattered.
- Burial at sea.
- Veterans whose remains are non-recoverable.
(All Veterans Funeral & Cremation will order headstone or marker, at family’s request.)
U.S. BURIAL FLAG FOR HONORABLY DISCHARGED VETERANS
- For Casket Burial: U.S. Burial Flag is draped over the casket of Veteran. After the funeral service, a flag is folded (typically by U.S. Military Honor Team) and presented to family member or friend at the conclusion of military honors.
- For Cremation: U.S. Folded Flag is presented to family member or friend of Veteran at the conclusion of military honors.
- If no services are held, U.S. Folded Flag is presented to family member by All Veterans Funeral & Cremation
(All Veterans Funeral & Cremation will order U.S. Burial Flag with a copy of Veteran’s Discharge Paper or DD-214 at family’s requests.)
The family of honorably discharged veterans are entitled to a Presidential Memorial Certificate (PMC). This is a certificate signed by The President in honor of the Veteran’s service to our country. All Veterans Funeral & Cremation will order one or more PMCs at the family’s request.
To search for a scheduled service or burial for veteran or spouse at any national cemetery, visit: www.cem.va.gov/